The View

The Student News Site of Dexter Southfield

The View

The View

An empty parking lot outside of Sohier.
The Parking Crisis
January 26, 2024
A performance by the Dexter Southfield Choir.
A Night for the Arts
January 26, 2024
Letter from the Editors
December 14, 2023

A Night for the Arts

Chloe Do

The Arts Cafe is a night to celebrate the performing arts. Students present their musical or literary pieces for the school to enjoy. This year’s Arts Café fell on October 26, and some performances include classical instruments, poetry readings, and ensemble music groups. Organized by Mr. Maletz, the school’s music teacher who performs every Friday morning at assembly, and Mrs. Burke, an upper school English teacher, the event is student-based, from performance to production. Sound is run by Amy Feng ’25 and Helen Yang ‘25. The former stated, “It’s amazing to see high school come together to enjoy the arts. I feel like this is something that doesn’t happen anymore.” 

As the years pass by, there appears to be a disinterest in the performing arts. Theatre used to be a big thing at our school. However, now, less people show up to watch, and even less show up to audition. I vividly remember these nights being so crowded that some people had to stand up, but no one complained. Now, there is a smaller attendance and an even smaller student involvement rate. While it’s likely that most students simply have other commitments, it is also plausible that they think of it as mundane and embarrassing, rather than trying to enjoy the moment. There is a stark contrast in the number of students who watch a sports game compared to a theater or musical production. However, both are important as they bring a group of individuals together to celebrate a common interest. Along with community building, performing arts is also a facet for creative expression. By attending, the audience enjoys a student’s work and could gain a new perspective. Although it is entertainment, the night is also educational, acting as an escape from a strict, academic setting. 

One of my favorite performances was by Hannah O’Rourke ’24. She read aloud her literary work that was deeply moving and personal. It is difficult to admit to one’s vulnerabilities, and more difficult to share with classmates, out of fear of judgment. I am glad that O’Rourke had the confidence to share it because it was well written, poetic, and beautiful. I hope that more people come to Arts Night because the performances feel like they were made to be heard, while still retaining that quiet elegance, as if the performer is bearing a small piece of their soul to the audience. 

Next time there is a performing arts night, try to come. It could be more worthwhile than you’d think.