The Inside Scoop on Lunch

Dean Liang '25 and Conrad Jean Michel '25, Staff Writers

Lunch serves as one of the best blocks to relax and eat, but does everyone think of it that way? Sage Dining provides food in almost any situation to Dexter Southfield, and previously Sage has not won the hearts of many at the school. At the start of this year, there was a noticeable change in the variety and quality of their meals. John Maxwell, an esteemed author, stated, “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional,” and Sage Dining took the wheel.          

Sage’s food, through increased variety and flavor, has exceeded previous expectations. In dishes such as tacos, improvement is evident. Previously, the beef didn’t stay moist, and the toppings options were minimal: cheese, lettuce, and diced tomato. This year’s tacos include a variety of rice, grilled corn with a sidebar with delicious salsa, shredded lettuce, and a mixture of sliced cheeses. The true shining player is the meat. It is overall more moist, tender, and flavorful. Colin McLaughlin ’26 asserts, “This year’s food is a little better. Recently, Sage has been going the extra mile, and I am liking it.”  Students such as Colin, flock to the new variety of food, such as the scrumptious chocolate dipped churros. Although some students devour Sage’s delicacies, most students are unlike Colin, a pioneer for the approval of Sage’s food. It is obvious the lunches’ past is affecting the opinion of the present and the foreseeable future.   

With Sage playing their part, it is reasonable to assume more students acknowledge their efforts. After more student interviews, a different viewpoint on Sage’s meals appears clearer. Students such as Eddie Morrissey ‘24 describe these wonderful meals as “The same old, same old” and believe no change occurred. These comments negatively affect our lunch servers who are trying their hardest. If only students disregard their previous cynical conceptualizations of Sage and open their minds, they would not only enjoy their food more but also appreciate the workers. These workers must feed hundreds of children every day and make sure they are done at the proper times. So, the next time you are about to have lunch, think about how you can appreciate Sage a bit